Available in a HYBRID* format!
*It is STRONGLY suggested that students who are able to attend in-person do. In-Person students have a more engaging and fuller experience, however, we understand not everyone is able to travel.*
This 5-Day Intensive is an introduction to the use of the arts in healing. Art, music, drama, dance, poetry and story telling are the creative modalities that will be explored. Emphasis will be placed on the creative process. Guest lecturers will provide expertise in their profession (art therapy, dance/movement therapy, music therapy, drama therapy, poetry therapy).
This week long workshop will provide attendees an introduction to the different modalities of Creative Arts Therapy, and the manner in which the creative process supports human development, therapeutic practice and transformation. Appropriate for cross-disciplinary professionals of social work, counseling, and education, this is an opportunity to learn new and innovative approaches to intervention that will advance your personal and professional development in working with difficult and complex target populations.
Grounded in current best practice approaches to psychotherapy, Expressive Arts Therapy leverages the use of fine art forms like music, drama, dance and art within a psycho-therapeutic framework to promote healing. Each art form features its own unique experimental imprint while sharing the foundational concept of the "creative mind" as a mechanism to bypass cognitive processes of cause and effect, freeing the "flow" of spontaneous expression and revelation in an unexpected but powerful way.
Creative arts therapy through music, drama, dance, poetry and art will be briefly explored during this workshop, intended to offer just a taste of how creative arts can be utilized in clinical practice.
- Understand how to apply the process of art-making and its creative properties to clinical practice.
- Create safe structures in which to use music therapy in clinical practice.
- Identify the foundations of drama therapy: Focus will be on how drama therapy sets a safe place for participants to express and explore feelings, thoughts and dreams in a spontaneous improvised story.
- Learn the basics of dance therapy to be used in clinical practice through movement and embodied expression.
Limitations and Risks:
- Participants understand the nature, objectives, limitations, and results from the training are distinctly different from the formal study of the creative arts therapies
- There are potential risks when introducing creative arts into your practice without adequate training
- The creative arts therapies are an evidenced-based treatment
At the end of this workshop, participants will receive a certificate stating they have completed this 45 Hour course with a short course description. This workshop provides 3 credits for Drama Therapy and Expressive Arts Therapy students.
This workshop provides 45 hours (3 credits) for Social Workers and Counselors and 3 credit hours for Drama Therapy and Expressive Arts Therapy students.
Required Drama Therapy Course - 3 Credits of Special Populations
Expressive Arts Therapy Course - 3 Credits Advanced Electives
Creative Arts Therapy: A Foundational Course (45 Hours/3 Credits)
Required Drama Therapy & Expressive Arts Therapy Course
(45 hours/3 credits) Monday-Friday, June 17-21, 2024, 9:00AM-5:30PM & Friday, June 30, 7:00PM-10:00PM (Performance), at the Center for Creative Arts Therapy, 2600 Warrenville Rd., Suite 205, Downers Grove, IL 60515