Available via HYBRID (In Person AND Zoom)!
An introduction to the use of the arts in healing. Art, music, drama, dance, poetry and story telling are the creative modalities that will be explored. Emphasis will be placed on the creative process. Guest lecturers will provide expertise in their profession (art therapy, dance/movement therapy, music therapy, drama therapy, poetry therapy).
This week long workshop will provide attendees an introduction to the different modalities of Creative Arts Therapy, and the manner in which the creative process supports human development, therapeutic practice and transformation. Appropriate for cross-disciplinary professionals of social work, counseling, and education, this is an opportunity to learn new and innovative approaches to intervention that will advance your personal and professional development in working with difficult and complex target populations.
Grounded in current best practice approaches to psychotherapy, Expressive Arts Therapy leverages the use of fine art forms like music, drama, dance and art within a psycho-therapeutic framework to promote healing. Each art form features its own unique experimental imprint while sharing the foundational concept of "creative mind" as a mechanism to bypass cognitive processes of cause and effect, freeing the "flow" of spontaneous expression and revelation in an unexpected but powerful way.
Creative arts therapy through music, drama, dance, poetry and art will be briefly explored during this workshop, intended to offer just a taste of how creative arts can be utilized in clinical practice.
- Understand how to apply the process of art-making and its creative properties to clinical practice.
- Create safe structures in which to use music therapy in clinical practice.
- Identify the foundations of drama therapy: Focus will be on how drama therapy sets a safe place for participants to express and explore feelings, thoughts and dreams in a spontaneous improvised story.
- Learn the basics of dance therapy to be used in clinical practice through movement and embodied expression.
Limitations and Risks:
- Participants understand the nature, objectives, limitations, and results from the training are distinctly different from the formal study of the creative arts therapies
- There are potential risks when introducing creative arts into your practice without adequate training
- The creative arts therapies are an evidenced-based treatment
The Center for Creative Arts Therapy is approved as a continuing education provider for Social Workers and Counselors by the Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, Approved Continuing Education Sponsor, (#159.001383).
This workshop provides 45 CEUs for Social Workers and Counselors and 3 credit hour for Drama Therapy and Expressive Arts Therapy students.
Creative Arts Therapy: A Foundational Course
(45 CEUs/3 credits) Monday-Friday, June 13th-17th, 2022 9:00AM-5:30PM & Friday, June 19th 7:00PM-10:00PM (Performance), 4336 Saratoga Avenue, 2nd Floor, Downers Grove, IL 60515 at the Center for Creative Arts Therapy, 4336 Saratoga Ave., 2nd Floor, Downers Grove, IL 60515