Available HYBRID (In person OR Virtual)!
A theoretical and experiential exploration of expressive arts therapy in work with individual clients, including: integration of verbal and dramatic methods and consideration of clinical, cultural, social, existential, and relational factors in providing attuned responses to client needs. An array of approaches along the distancing spectrum are introduced, with extensive time allotted for demos and dyad practice with feedback. Treatment planning and suitability of approaches for different populations is also considered.
A practical/clinical examination of the application of expressive arts therapy with individual clients, including shifting between and integrating verbal and dramatic methods in one-on-one work; engaging the individual client over the course of a multi-phased therapeutic relationship; and balancing the consideration of clinical, cultural, social, existential, and relational needs in providing attuned approaches within the dramatic medium.
The experiential portion of the training will focus on the application of expressive arts therapy as a powerful tool in working with individuals. The didactic portion of the training will offer a theoretical basis and rationale for the use of expressive arts therapy in multiple clinical situations.
- Design and describe an expressive arts therapy progression of exercises and techniques with an individual.
- Analyze the “warm-up” or readiness of an individual to move into action methods.
- Apply a foundational understanding of expressive arts therapy theory and practice to the development of a treatment plan for a selected clinical population.
- Describe specific expressive arts therapy interventions appropriate for different populations.
Limitations and Risks:
- Participants understand the nature, objectives, limitations, and results from the training are distinctly different from the formal study of the creative arts therapies
- There are potential risks when introducing creative arts into your practice without adequate training
- The creative arts therapies are an evidenced-based treatment
At the end of this workshop, participants will receive a certificate stating they have completed this 15 Hour CE course with a short course description. This workshop provides 1 credit hour for Drama Therapy and Expressive Arts Therapy students.
Center for Creative Arts Therapy has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 7460. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Center for Creative Arts Therapy is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Drama Therapy Course - 1 Credit Advanced Elective
Expressive Arts Therapy Course - 1 Credit Advanced Elective
Expressive Arts Therapy with Individuals (15 Credit Hours)
Required Drama Therapy & Expressive Arts Therapy Course (counts as an Advanced Elective)
(15 Credit Hours/1 credit) Saturday & Sunday, March 2-3, 2024, 9:00AM-5:30PM, at the Center for Creative Arts Therapy, 2600 Warrenville Rd., Suite 205, Downers Grove, IL 60515
Via Virtual Zoom