Photo by Eddy Klaus


How long does it take to complete the program?

The length of time varies with the individual needs of the students. The academic requirements take 2-3 years to complete, depending on the program. However, many students need 3-4 years to fulfill their internship and thesis requirements. Often this includes summer, fall and/or spring sessions.

What do I receive after completion?

Depending on the progam, each graduate meets the following requirements: Drama Therapy Program Registered Drama Therapist (RDT) with the North American Drama Therapy Association Alternative Training track. Expressive Arts Therapy Program Registered Expressive Arts Therapist (REAT) with the International Expressive Arts Therapy Association.

Do I need to be in graduate school before I start taking drama therapy courses?

Students do not need to be enrolled in a graduate program prior to taking drama therapy or expressive arts therapy courses. However, in order to complete Alternative Training in Drama Therapy and Expressive Arts Therapy, the student will have had to complete a Masters or Doctoral level degree in theatre/drama, psychology, counseling, social work, marriage and family therapy, special education, education, expressive or creative arts therapies, art therapy, music therapy, dance/movement therapy, psychodrama, poetry therapy, play therapy, speech pathology, occupational therapy, or therapeutic recreation.

Do I need an undergraduate degree to start Alternative Training?

In order to be accepted into any program with Creative Clinical Consulting's Center for Training, the student must minimally have completed an undergraduate degree.

How many credits do the programs require?

24-36 credits, depending on the program.

Do I need to complete an internship to graduate?

Yes. Depending on the program, students must accrue 800-1,000 hours of internship with at least 2 different populations in order to graduate. Internship supervision is provided through the Center for Creative Arts Therapy.

Do I need to write a thesis to graduate?

Yes. Students must complete a performance-based thesis. However, this is done within your required coursework.

Are there any scholarships available?

Every year a few students are awarded a partial scholarship based on merit and need.

Do I have to take the GRE or the TOEFL to get into the program?

No. The GRE and TOEFL are not required.

What classes do I need to prepare myself for your program? Are there any prerequisites to be considered?

The strongest applicants will have equally strong backgrounds in the arts, theatre and psychology. However, many candidates who demonstrate greater strength in one area over the other are also accepted. During the application process, we always look at the entire person: academic background, work/performance experience, essay, recommendations and interview. In that the Drama Therapy and Expressive Arts Therapy Programs requires advanced courses in psychology, we ask that all accepted students make sure to complete undergraduate or graduate psychology courses in Abnormal and/or Developmental Psychology before they begin their program study. Additionally, it is strongly recommended to read some of the major works of literature that comprise the drama therapy and expressive arts therapy body of knowledge, including studies of drama therapy, psychology, expressive arts therapy and theatre theory. Try visiting the North American Drama Therapy Association (NADTA) and look at the suggested reading list.

How many students do you accept? How many applications do you receive?

Applications and acceptances vary somewhat from year to year, and we pride ourselves on keeping our classrooms small to enhance student experience.

How do I get more information about the program?

If you would like us to email you an information packet, please contact us at with your name, email and contact information.

What is the job market like for Drama and Expressive Arts Therapists right now?

The Chicago metropolitan area provides a great many opportunities for employment. Graduates have access to an array of contacts throughout the theatrical, education theatre, and mental health care industries. Currently, Drama Therapists are being hired in hospitals, social service agencies, schools, clinics, and theatres; many have their own private practices. Expressive Arts Therapists have been utilizing their skills as coaches, mentors and performing artists. For those traveling to areas where Drama Therapy or Expressive Arts Therapy is a relatively unknown discipline, we expect you to have a pioneering spirit and to advocate for the inclusion of Drama Therapy within many kinds of facilities.

How much do expressive arts therapists make?

As with most jobs, it depends on your past experience and the facility and/or population. One objective way to find out average salaries in a field is to check out the following websites: or
Investigate the stats for counselors, psychologists, recreational therapists, social workers, rehabilitation therapists, psych rehab therapists, etc.

Could you tell me the difference between American and British drama therapy?

The best way to gain insight into the commonalities and variances is to develop a familiarity with the respective national organizations. Try visiting both NADTA for the North American Association, and BADTH for the British Association. In addition, look into the works of prominent British authors who specialize in drama therapy: Sue Jennings, Alida Gersie, Phil Jones, and Roger Grainger.

What are the educational requirements for an RDT or an REAT through the NADTA or the IEATA?

The Center for Creative Arts Therapy's Drama Therapy program meets all educational requirements for registration as a drama therapist with the North American Drama Therapy Association (NADTA) through the Alternative Training route and a registered expressive arts therapist through the International Expressive Arts Therapy Association (IEATA).​ * At this time we do NOT offer courses to acquire an REACE through IEATA.

What is your Refund policy?

LIVE COURSES: 4 weeks notice: 100% refund 2 weeks notice: 50% credit towards future Center for Creative Arts Therapy trainings THERE WILL BE NO REFUNDS OR CREDIT WITH LESS THAN TWO WEEKS NOTICE ONLINE COURSES: Due to the nature of our online learning system, and proprietary information shared with students upon entering our Learning Portal, we do not issue refunds for our online learning programs/courses.

What are the software requirements for online learning courses?

Mac Users

  • OS X 10.9 Mavericks or higher (click here for system requirements)
  • Latest version of Google Chrome
Windows Users
  • Windows 7 or higher (click here for system requirements)
  • Latest version of Google Chrome

What are the hardware requirements for online learning courses?

All Users

  • 2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
  • 500 MB free hard drive space
  • Speakers or headphones
  • Webcam
  • Internet connection with at least 4 Mbps download speed

Do you have online classes?

We've gotten this question so many times and we're happy to say... YES! As of March 2019 we have online classes available. View our Online Training offerings here.

This sounds great! How do I get started?

There is no long application process for the program and the "steps" for registering for classes are fairly easy. Simply visit our Course Registration page and click on the class you want to take. You then add your payment information and you are registered and ready to begin! At some point in the beginning of your journey (this doesn't necessarily have to happen before you take your first class) we will set up a meeting between yourself and our Founder & CEO, Azizi Marshall, to go over your transcripts and chat about specific classes you need to take.

I am not interested in becoming registered, can I still take classes?

Yes! If you are already a professional in the counseling field or a theatre artist, and are simply interested in expanding your knowledge with a class or two and gaining Continuing Education Credits, you can absolutely sign-up for classes as you please without completing the whole program.

I still have some questions. How do I get in touch?

We know this is a lot of information! If you have any questions about the program, feel free to get in touch with our Marketing & Outreach Specialist, Leslie Kane through email ( or by giving us a call at 847.477.8244. We'd love to help!

How long do online classes take to complete?

You will have up to 30 days for 6 credit hour course, 45 days for a 9 hour course, and 90 days for a 15 hour course from the date of registration to complete it. Courses typically take the full amount of alotted time due to the nature of the courses, length of training videos, assignments, quizes and final project.

What is my scope of practice after taking your online courses?

Materials that are included in these online courses may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your profession's standards.

I need a place to stay while attending the live workshops. Can you recommend some places to stay?

For those of you that are traveling a great distance to be with us, you can find hotel information to accommodate your stay here.

What restaurants are nearby?

Starbucks 1149 Ogden Ave. Downers Grove, IL 60515 (630) 836-2999 Coffee & light eats. The Baked Apple Cafe 1224 Ogden Ave. Downers Grove, IL 60515 (630) 515-9000 Delicious breakfast and lunch. Hearty portion sizes. Chipotle 1203 W. Ogden Ave. Downers Grove, IL 60515 (630) 963-1688 Mexican fare, burritos, salads, guacamole. Vegan and Vegetarian options. Core Life Eatery 1026 Ogden Avenue Downers Grove, IL 60515 (630) 442-0360 Clean, healthy and great tasting foods featuring hearty bowls with ingredients free of GMO’s, trans fats, artificial colors, sweeteners and other artificial additives. Vegan and Vegetarian oprions. Mod Pizza 1022 W. Ogden Ave. Downers Grove, IL 60515 (630) 286-6775 Superfast pizza experience - artisan-style pizzas and salads individually sized, made on demand, and ready in just minutes. Vegan options. Additional food options exist in the Downtown Downers Grove area, which is under a mile away from the Center for Creative Arts Therapy.

Still have more questions?
CONTACT US and we will answer your questions within 48 hours.

Let us inspire and guide you towards healing the world through the arts.


The Center for Creative Arts Therapy's Center for Training offers coursework in the following professional disciplines: Drama Therapy, Expressive Arts Therapy, Therapeutic Performing Arts, Theatre for Change, Sociodrama and Psychodrama. 


Students experience fearlessly progressive education in intimate, experiential programs that are grounded in theory and application, and influenced by historical movements of contemporary practice. Under the guidance of globally influential and award-winning faculty, students prepare themselves as leaders in their career, effecting purposeful and inspiring revolutions in the community.


For more information on the Center for Creative Arts Therapy training programs throughout Chicago and the DuPage County area, call us at (847) 477-8244, email us, or visit us at 4336 Saratoga Ave., 2nd Floor, Downers Grove, IL  60515.